Sign in to follow this  
Guest Harkness

A bombastic thread

Guest Harkness

Hey there Metalheads, howdy? Here's the deal: We have to talk. It's going to be a long one, but it will be worth it! ;)

In order to bring you closer to the development process of Heavy Metal Machines, we're starting a feedback process that's going to work like this; we'll start a discussion on some things we believe need to be improved in the game, and you'll contribute with your thoughts both on the paths that we are thinking of taking, as well as on new ideas to tackle the challenge, sounds good?

So here's the first BOMB: Heavy Metal Machines should be a competitive game, we obviously want to entertain as many players as we can so it is important to balance competitiveness with simplicity, following the famous "Easy to learn, hard to master" line. The game has to be simple enough that the new players can understand what is going on and what they are playing, but hard enough that veterans and pro-players are challenged to make the best possible plays. We believe that the mechanics we have in place today to grab, pass and transport the bomb are not precise and do not offer enough decision making, a lot of the times even seeming like simply a case of "luck", leaving the players feeling that they are not "in control" of who gets the bomb after a machine is destroyed. There isn't a clear decision of "I want to take the bomb" either, and even veteran players sometimes get confused on where is the bomb it is dropped, either by a dropper or a kill.

We believe that in order to improve on this, there's a need to make the bomb behave more predictably and more along the lines of a real physical object. It should be something that you actually carry, instead of just "part of your car". Along those lines, we want to give the players a true feeling of dragging the bomb to the enemy's base, which will open up different possibilities for the transporters, making them more important and their play style more unique.

The two paths we currently have in mind are:

1. Leave it up to the player to decide when to take the bomb or not, meaning a button press would be needed to grab it from the ground. That way, taking the bomb is not something you do by accident by having it hit your car, it is instead, a deliberate action you take.

2. Transporting the bomb would be something that also considers its weight, like you are dragging a real, solid, object. This would give transporters the ability to use the bomb as something to hit other cars with, taking them out of the way. Somewhat along the lines of this Fast Five scene:

So, what do you think about this bomb thing? Is it really a problem? What do you think about the paths we want to take? Do you have any suggestions on the subject?

Thanks!

I think that's a great ideia, but, instead off press a button to grab, could be press a button to by pass over the bomb.

Because that way, if you want to take the bomb you will dont miss it, because you dont need to press to pick,
BUT you can avoid take it by pressing and hold the drop button while pass over it.

It's just a extend to the bomb's drop function instead of a new toogle function. And It's add a new quick surprise to the gameplay.

E obrigado novamente pelas imagens da Wildfire! =D

On 10.03.2017 at 5:56 AM, PALMITu said:

I think that's a great ideia, but, instead off press a button to grab, could be press a button to by pass over the bomb.

Nah, this dont change a gameplay, everyone is trying to take bomb before enemy do that. I think suggestions given by Harkness (devs) r good as they r and can do a game much more fun (it can be much more fun?!). More importantly, will depend more on skill than luck - positive change in my opinion.

I like the idea of the bomb being a bludgeoning weapon. But also, I hate the idea of having to hit a button to pick it up. There's rarely a time where you get the bomb where having it is a bad thing. Fumbles just aren't fun. It's fiddly.

But tying the bomb to a trailer hitch / rope / whatever and having it swing around would be pretty fun to begin with, not to mention have more believable physics

I like the idea of using the bomb as a weapon to help the transporter get to the enemy base. I would also like to see carrying the bomb having a negative effect on vehicules other than transporters (speed penalty or something similar) because if, say, a support car gets the bomb, transporters are pretty much useless as they don't have great abilities, and this would prevent people just racing to get the bomb mindlessly (I hope anyway). a buff for transporters would also be nice. My last suggestion would be for players to be able to blow the bomb up after it takes enough damage, because most of the time I just see people passing it to really tanky cars and winning that way

Press a Button for taking the ball? It's okkey, but we need to make some restriction for all tipe of drivers! For me, there are some driveres, like rampage and photon, Which often replace the transporter thanks they're skills. Trasporter doesn't need to press a button to take the bomb, is the trasporter! but the other classes need this and interceptor and supporter can not take the ball whenever using they're skill! And  for me, trasporter doesn't receiving damage from the bomb, or take less of other classes! The idea to use the bomb like a weapon is amazing but hard to implement balancing the damage! Bomb can do damage every time or only when you press a button or when you do like Vin Diesel in the video? they make damage or only push the enemy? So, we can use the bomb only for do damage or for protect me too? Or we can gain a life to the bomb and when bomb die exploding and create a new bomb at centre of map!

I think bomb behavior should be based on bomb concept. Is the bomb a magnet, and it connect to any piece of iron passing through, or arena cars have special device, which allowing them to grab the bomb? Based on answer on that question you can simply answer primary question.

(But it just my opinion)

I guess you don't need to change the bomb rules.

Bomb like weapon cinda strange. Better try it than imagine it, if you understand what i mean 0)

(sry for bad english)